In January 2014, we began a new modernization plan for the New Milford Public Library, when the Town Council approved spending $20,000 from the Waste Management Fund for a feasibility study. A planning committee of 9 community volunteers was appointed in August 2015, and began twice monthly meetings to discuss ideas and suggestions. Here we will chronicle our progress as we continue this exciting project!
- August-November 2015 – architectural firms were researched.
- November 2015 – we conducted a survey to collect information from the public as to what was important and necessary for the library services and facility.
- November 2015-April 2016 – 4 architectural firms presented their ideas.
- May 2016 – we hired Lothrop Associates to devise a proposal for the feasibility study.
- November 2016 – the architect presented his proposal before Town Council.
- November 2016 – the Town Council unanimously approved the appropriation of $162,700 for the next design phase which will be schematic design plans from the architect that will be specific to our community needs
- February 2017 – Focus Groups will meet to discuss community wants and needs
- February 2017 – results of our community survey, staff input, discussions with the Modernization Committee and four focus groups have been submitted to the architect for them to produce schematic designs
- June 12, 2017 – architects will present to the Town Council at 7:00 PM the revised plans to increase Children’s and Teen space as well as create more study rooms and make the front entrance ADA compliant, among other improvements – WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT AT THAT MEETING!